Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Exhausted

Wow. I. Am. Tired.

I knew being a breast feeding exclusive mom that I would be up frequently feeding this little guy, but wow am I beat. Matthew has been eating every 2 to 2.5 hours day and night. I would do anything for a 4, 5, or 6 hour stretch of sleep. I don't function well on little bits of sleep, and I am starting to feel the effects of lack of sleep. When I'm over tired all I do is cry. Today, my hubs came home and asked how my day was and all I said was that all I want is to sleep for a long stretch of time. I know that eventually Matthew will sleep for longer periods of time, but I'm struggling a bit right now. The plan for me to get more sleep is that I will pump a bottle for Adam to give Matthew on Saturday morning for the 6:00ish feeding.

I would suggest to pump a bottle for a middle of the night feeding, but Adam has had 2 more seizures since the post I made in February. He had one in November, and another one in the hospital the last night we were there when Matthew was born. We've pretty much linked the seizures to being over tired/exhausted. Therefore I have been responsible for all middle of the night baby duties. I am happy to do them because it's what my son needs, but it is also what my husband needs. I need him to be the best person/dad he can be during the day as he is working full-time and being super dad when he gets home and on weekends. He needs his rest to be healthy. I feel less anxiety about the seizures, but it still makes me a nervous wreck to know that it can happen at any time. The doctor upped the dosage for his meds, so hopefully he doesn't have any more.

So far, the hardest part of being a new parent is the pure exhaustion I feel at this point. I pray that this little boy give me a long stretch of sleep SOON! = )

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing a great job! I hope you get some good rest....and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been fortunate that Reagan seems to only wake up 2 maybe 3 times a night so far. She does seem to eat more during the day which is just fine with me. You are doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard from so many that the first 6 weeks are the hardest...you are already over halfway there!! I agree with Laura and Megan - you are doing a wonderful job feeding and caring for your son! IT WILL GET BETTER AND YOU CAN DO IT (you already ARE doing it!)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great, Mama!!! It gets better, I promise. What a tough thing though, to manage all the night feedings on your own. You are such a strong Mommy. Hang in there and know I'm thinking about you. Kiss that little boy for me.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete