Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

(Nearly) Healthy Living

Some of you out there have been wondering what my "diet" is since I have been revamping my life to live a more healthy one. Well folks, sorry to disappoint, but I don't have a specific diet like weight watchers, or south beach, etc. I am just eating and doing what all of us humans are supposed to be eating and doing the majority of my week. I am a food-a-holic, and pretty much think about eating all day long. I am always worried about what my next meal is going to be and where is my next meal dining out (I LOVE dining out!!!). I have had to really start changing my outlook on food. It is fuel to live, and I should not live to eat. I need food to power me through my work day, and my work outs. However, on Friday or Saturday night when my love and I do go out, I splurge and get something that I will enjoy. If I dine out during the week I try to stick to healthy options.

So, the plan that has been working for me is to eat more protein...I have a protein at every meal. Next, I try to eat all of my carbs and fruits before 2:00 in the afternoon. That way my body has the rest of the day to burn down those sugars. Before I go to the gym I will have an Atkins protein drink - I chose Atkins because I'm insulin resistant and it has few carbs and sugars. Some protein drinks can be loaded with carbs and sugars, and I don't need more of that in my body than I already get. If I need just a little more food before a workout I will throw in a low-fat part skim cheese stick and/or an apple. After working out or for dinner my husband and I make a lot of soups, recipes from cooking light cook books, and grilling. It is getting to be grilling season here in Georgia, so a lot of our meals will be grilled chicken, shrimp, pork, and flank and sirloin steaks. I have a food scale so I measure my meats from the grill to make sure I am eating the correct portion size. I will also measure things like my cereal, snacks, etc. to make sure I'm not going overboard as well.

As for exercising...I do it. You can lose weight and all if you just change your diet. However, you can lose it faster and have a better body composition if you exercise. I also use exercise to indulge in some of my non-healthy items....ugh hem...thin mints...wink wink. I do pretty intense exercise. A typical week looks like this...

Monday: Kickboxing and weight lifting class or yoga
Tuesday: Spinning class, or Cardio/toning class, or both....depending on my mood!
Wednesday: Break
Thursday: Cardio/Toning class and Spin, or 2 Spin Classes
Friday: Break

One day on the weekend, not both:
Saturday: Cardio/Toning Class or Yoga
Sunday: Running and lifting on my own

My husband and I have really dedicated our week nights to exercising. So it helps motivate me if he is there as well. I estimate that I burn between 400 and 600 calories most nights at the gym doing the classes. I also don't really splurge on those days. We get home from the gym late and I avoid sugars and sweeter foods before bed.

I have done weight watchers 3 times in my life and have had success each time...I just got sick of counting points and would just go back to my bad habits. I am having a slower weight loss this time, but am not stressed out about my "points". I eat as natural of foods as possible, no preservatives, and aim to get in as many fruits and veggies as I can. I have lost a total of 9lbs so far and the size 14 dress I bought (in December) for my friends wedding in July is HUGE on me! My size 8 pants don't fit, and my size 6's are getting larger on me as well. I usually have to wear large tops because I have a large bust, but medium shirts are fitting nicely - I will never be a small - the ladies won't let me!

I don't see myself changing anything in the near future. I have my days where I just suck at eating healthy, mostly when I am not working. A schedule keeps me on track. The summer when I am off from teaching is always when I gain weight. I'm trying though, because in the end I want to be a healthy pregnant woman with no issues of gestational diabetes and high blood pressure, and I want those unborn children of mine to lead a healthy lifestyle, too. I know that if my husband and I don't live a healthy lifestyle, then my children won't either. Being a teacher I see so many overweight and obese children and it is so sad, because it isn't their fault. They don't do the grocery shopping and meal planning, their parents do. We are starting this lifestyle now and sticking to it so we know exactly what to do when kids come in to the picture.

So that is that on my new life style. There are so many ways to change your life to be healthier. I know my friend Kimberly - who just got pregnant after her 4th IUI, YAY!!!! Is eating a paleo diet and is loving it. I wouldn't have the support of my husband to do that, so it would be really hard for me. Her hubs is all in, so it is working for her.

What are you ladies doing to make your life healthier!?

3 comments:

  1. Ugh...this is my biggest struggle. I played basketball growing up, in High school, and in college. Used to be in the best shape ever. Now, not so much. I blame it on our pup that I don't exercise anymore because as soon as I get home we go for about a 2 mile walk and then I hate leaving her again to go to the gym. The only thing going for me is I don't eat a lot, never really have, and I do eat a lot of fruits, veggies, and drink a lot of water. What is the best diet for making a baby?? Because obviously were not doing it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Good for you! I am impressed with all of the workouts you fit in...I really need to find the energy to work out after teaching. I am always so tired when I get home and find excuses to flop on the couch to read, lesson plan, blog (ha!), or craft instead of exercising. As soon as I sit down, I am pretty much a lost cause for the rest of the night! Hopefully now that spring is on the way I can follow your lead and get my body moving again! I don't belong to a gym or anything so I usually jog outside, do yoga with a dvd, or play JustDance (which has a fun 'sweat' mode.)

    I am also impressed by your dedication to your food choices, I am in the process of moving to a gluten free diet and I am already a vegetarian. It can be so hard to make the right choice right now because my body seems to crave sugar more than ever before! I think without as many carbs my body is getting confused and wants to fill the void with things like juice.

    Congrats on your progess so far! It will be so worth it in the long run (your continud health) and hopefully in the near future (when you get that BFP!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you said "I need to stop living to eat and start eating to live.". So true! Sugar is my weakness. I need to be strict with my healthy eating portion control. I want my body back!!!!

    ReplyDelete