Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Green Poop

Little man, Cheeks, has been having consistently green poops for over a week now and they are starting to look like they contain mucous in them as well. Every where I've read says that poop with mucous means that baby might have an allergy. I've also read that green poops here and there are normal, but consistent green poop could mean multiple things. 1. Your diet is rich in iron. 2. Baby is getting too much fore-milk not enough hind-milk. 3. Baby might have a lactose/milk allergy. I'm thinking baby Cheeks might be having a combination of #2 and #3. When I pump in the mornings, the majority of what I pump out is very watery milk. After I put it in the fridge for awhile, and the fat separates, there is very little fatty  milk in the bottles (see pic below). I need to figure out what I need to do to ensure that this little guy is getting his fatty hind-milk since I apparently have a super-supply. Today I've had him feed off of one side exclusively for each feeding. Next, I'm going to try cutting milk and milk products out of my diet. This is going to be tough because I eat a lot of milk products. My snacks are usually string mozzarella cheese and greek yogurt. I also eat cheese frequently in meals, and sour cream on my mexican items (we eat a lot of mexican, too!). Ugh and ranch dressing! I hope by making these changes this little guy will go back to being a normal, yellow, seedy pooper! = )

Do you ever feel like your life now revolves around 2 hour schedules, colors of poop, how long the baby slept, and what breast you fed off of last? I think that is all I think about any more! But, it is SOOOO worth it!

(This is off of one boob, see how there is only a little bit of fatty milk?)

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of poop, we had our first poop blowout today, up the front and back with a full diaper. Obviously it was straight to the sink so we could give Reagan her second bath of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am sorry that you are dealing with this (and that little Cheeks is, too!). Our pediatrician said that most of the time cheese and yogurt are not a problem even if the baby has an issue with milk since they are cultured. Straight up cow's milk tends to be the issue. So maybe before cutting out all dairy cold turkey, you could keep the cheese and yogurt and see how things go? Feeding off of one side to get the hind milk up is the perfect thing to do, too! Our daughter is a one-side-a-feeding kind of gal. 99% of the time she gets enough off of one breast. I always offer the other once she finishes on the first side, but she usually gets a full meal from just the one since I have a super supply like you! Sounds like you'll figure this out and Cheeks will be back to yellow, seedy pooping in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Mama! My milk separates like that, too. So far, he's gaining and seeming to be doing well, but I've always wondered about the milk separating like that.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete