Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Prayer

Something has been floating through my mind lately. The act of praying and thought of prayer while you are struggling through a difficult time. Living in the South, it seems like so many more people are open to talking about prayer and offering prayers than where I grew up in the North. My family was never a prayerful family, we only worshiped on Christmas and Easter (C & E Catholics is what we are affectionately called), and were never taught to pray and thank God for our struggles or gifts. Then I married Adam, and his family was very prayerful, and were always offering prayers for encouragement, struggles, and gifts. In the last 5 years or so I've met a few women who have also been very prayerful and have taught me a lot about being a Christian and what it means to be a Christian. I'm continuously growing in my Christianity, but it has become a larger part of my life.

Adam and I have had our ups and downs. It seems like in our short 4 year marriage, that there have been more downs than ups, but the ups have been completely awesome. In these short 4 years I have found myself praying and thanking God even more about the life he has given us and have trusted that his plan for our lives is the greatest plan that there can be. When Adam was unemployed we prayed that he would guide us to a place where he could find a place that made him happy. I prayed a ton after both of Adam's seizures, and even more so after this last one. The infertility was also something we have both prayed about continuously that God answers our prayers and guides us to a place where children can be a part of our life.

Do any of you seek prayer as you struggle through the ups and downs of life, especially as you progress through your infertility journey? If not, how do you center yourself? Prayer has become such an important part of who I am lately in the chaos of everyday life, and I'm interested to hear some other points of view.

Tonight, I am praying for all the women and men out there that are desperately seeking motherhood and fatherhood and are having a hard time understanding why God would put them on this path of infertility. I know God has a plan for each and every one of us, I pray that we all have patience to wait for His answers to our prayers and that we find peace in those answers.

2 comments:

  1. I am a Northerner and Catholic, too. We called the C & E Catholics "Christmas Ornaments and Easter Bunnies." Ha! I went to Catholic school through grade 8 and it was an expectation that as long as we lived under my parents' roof, we would attend Sunday Mass. My husband is Lutheran and was never into church much. However, we have found a Catholic church near our home that we both love. I am starting to pray more and more. Just last Sunday my Grandmother gave me a rosary that I have been keeping in my pocket all day and on my nightstand at night! When I am in traffic on the way to work in the morning I sing the 'Our Father' and 'Hail Mary.' I pray the prayer of St. Gerard for all of us experiencing infertility every night, too! I have recently found that prayer is as comforting and healing to me as meditation and yoga:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Christian also...Lutheran :) And while I have had my moments of strong faith, infertility has thrown me for a loop. Husband and I have been meaning to improve our attendance at a church, and although I know we both pray...I feel like there is something missing. I have lost that close relationship I used to have with God. I used to pray to him about everything and talk to him throughout my day, but now our conversations are limited to my nightly plea to take care of our friends and family, to keep us strong and in love, and to bring us a baby. I know he is there, I know he hears me...But I need to commit more!

    ReplyDelete