Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Matthew James

He's here!!!!!!!!!!! Our baby boy, Matthew James!!

We got to the hospital on Sunday night for my induction. Checking in to the hospital was very easy and within an hour they had my cervidil placed and we just hung out around the labor and delivery room. Around 5:30 they placed my IV and started on with the pitocin. My contractions started and they weren't too bad. I didn't need pain meds at all and I was just laying and waiting to see when the contractions would start hurting. Around 9:30 I got up to go to the bathroom and as I was getting back into bed my water broke. It started as a little trickle, and when the next contraction came is ALL GUSHED OUT! It was such an odd feeling! I was excited though because that was the first "natural" thing my body did to contribute to labor. After that, WHOA, the contractions started coming. They ordered my epidural right when it broke, but I had about an hour to an hour an a half (time is all a blur!) of contractions right on top of each other. My body responded well to the pitocin so they were trying to be somewhat careful about how much they were giving me. After I got the epidural, I was in heaven! I felt pressure during the contractions, but otherwise I just read my nook and watched TV and talked with my hubs. I was hoping things would progress nicely from there on out, but I was stuck at 8cm for 5 hours, went to 9cm and stayed there for awhile, and finally the doctor told me we'll be doing a c-section because his head is too big to fit. So off we went to the surgery table! I wasn't scared or nervous, I just wanted to hear my baby cry - especially after 17 hours of labor!

Matthew James came out SCREAMING at 11:41 PM on December 17th. He is HUGE weighing in at 9 pounds 6 ounces, and 20 inches long. He was a very vocal little man from the start, but once he's in his swaddle with his chubby cheeks sticking out, he's super calm.

I was in the hospital for 3 days and spent lots of time learning how to nurse, and trying to sleep (which is nearly impossible when nurses are coming to check you every 2 hours). We got Matthew home and so far so good. Nursing has been going well, my milk came in yesterday, and he's been very full after feedings. He's also a quick eater so far. I am done nursing within 25 minutes. Hopefully that continues with him getting all that he needs. Recovery from the c-section hasn't been the best, but I'm making it. What's been the worst is that I developed a skin rash during the last week of pregnancy called PUPP. It's a somewhat rare rash that 1 in 150 women will get during pregnancy. Well, I didn't even know it was a rash until the last day I was in the hospital - none of my doctors said anything to me about it other than it looked like I had quite some stretch marks. Now that I am home, the rash has spread to every part of my body except my breasts and face. I feel like I have chicken pox all over me! If I don't get relief today I'm calling the dermatologist tomorrow to see if there is anything I can take to fix this, or to just alleviate the itching.

Now for some pictures!!!
 All swaddled up at the hospital.


 Dressed up to go home!


Sleeping peacefully in this swing.


Our little family of 3!

5 comments:

  1. He's perfect! What a beautiful family you have there!! All my love to you this holiday season. What a sweet Christmas blessing. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Katie! I just loved hearing your labor story... all those months of hearing everyone else's and now to know what your and Matthew's story is. :o) So happy for you and WOW, that was a big baby. You're a rock star... so proud of you! He sounds like an absolutely perfect baby-- big, healthy and sweet! Matthew is a miracle-- love him already. Enjoy his 1st Christmas!!!!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! Glad everyone is doing well besides the rash. Love the name and actually that is my brothers name. Holy bug healthy baby too. Love the going home outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Such a wonderful update! And what a handsome baby boy! If I remember correctly, you are quite petite, aren't you? How you carried a 9lb 6oz baby is mind boggling to me - good work mama! I hope that the rest of recovery goes well and that they can help you with the PUPP so you can be more comfortable and just enjoy Matthew James and all the excitement of new motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on such a beautiful, healthy boy!! Sounds like you rocked labor, girlfriend! Enjoy your 1st Christmas as a trio! XO

    ReplyDelete