Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Matthew, in the future...

As parents I know that we all think and wonder about what our children will be like in the future. What does the future hold for our little miracles? For some of us, we fought through a lot of tears, failed pregnancy tests, doctors visits, needle pricks, and ovulation tests to get our miracles. Our only hope is that those sweet babies eventually become adults who get married, have wonderful relationships, travel, and do exciting things with their lives. I know this is morbid, but what if that doesn't happen? I stumbled upon a blog the other day about a woman with two boys who have autism. She didn't realize that her first son had autism until he was maybe a year and half, and the second son she realized much sooner since she had experience with the first child's diagnosis. It has been so amazing reading her blog and learning about how she navigates life with her boys. As a mom to a son, I pray that little Matthew doesn't fall on the spectrum. I don't think he will, because he has hit every milestone thus far, but there are still things he hasn't done and might not do. I have found myself the last few days really looking at him and celebrating who he is. I've also been really thinking about does he make eye contact with me (he does, but is he really seeing me?), does he respond to his name (not yet - hasn't reached that milestone), is he babbling appropriately (lots of eh's and mm's right now, with tons of raspberries thrown in), is he interested in his toys the way he should be at six months? I hate that I'm thinking about it, but is it wrong to be making sure those milestones are being met?

After reading this woman's blog, I am finding myself also enjoying Matthew in the little moments that we are sharing. So what if he falls asleep while nursing and I let him sleep on me for one of his naps. So what if I get up in the middle of the night and rock him to sleep and stare at his perfection. So what if I don't say no when he throws a toy on the floor and laughs and I laugh right back at his adorableness. This time with him flies by so fast that I can't even believe he is already half a year old. Where is my newborn baby? I've also enjoyed these little moments a little more the past few days because of my surgery and not being able to hold him for a few days. I will love my chunky monkey no matter who he becomes, because he is a reflection of me and my husband and the love we have between us. He is perfect in my eyes and that is ALL that matters.

P.S. My cheeky boy rolled over from his back to his front, and just can't get enough of it! Even in the wee hours of the night! GO MATTHEW!

And now for loads of pics! = )
 Just shopping like a big boy, folks!


 Hey! I'm 6 months old and sitting up BY MYSELF!


 My old Pops examining my two bottom teeth!


 Ahhhh, green soft Ohio grass. Much better than sharp, prickly Georgia grass!


Me and my perfect, wonderful, adorable, cuddly, chubby boy!

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree Ohio grass is much better =). Reagan recently learned to roll from front to back and think it is a hoot! I made a promise not to compare Reagan to other babies and what and how fast they are making their milestones. As long as the doctor is happy with her reaching her milestones so am I. Like you I am just trying to soak up as much time with her as I can since it is so fleeting.

    ReplyDelete